The Safety Coordinator is responsible to develop, execute, and measure the effectiveness of Roastar’s safety program to ensure a safe and healthy work environment, maintain regulatory compliance, and control costs. The Safety Coordinator will act as a resource to all employees for their safety concerns. In addition, this person will deliver a variety of safety training systems to all Roastar staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary.
I. Communication / Onboarding
· Establish and promote the maintenance of a safe, incident-free, and healthy work environment
· Provide support and direction to all departments so that essential safety, health, and ergonomics guidelines are followed and met.
· Onboard new employees with safety-related training.
· Facilitate Company Safety Committee meetings, i.e. create action items, establish goals, monitor progress, coordinate committee membership. Share meeting actions and audit documentation.
· Coordinate and conduct safety training programs to promote safety consciousness and provide education regarding safety procedures and incident prevention, i.e. new hire and annual training.
· Follow all Company safety policies and safety procedures to maintain a safe work environment
· Act as a professional representative of Roastar, Inc. always and follow company policies, rules, and regulations.
II. Documentation / Investigation / Compliance
· Lead the investigation of workplace incidents, injuries, near misses and damage and provide follow-up corrective action.
· Prepare material/evidence for and actively participate in workers’ compensation-related hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
· Oversee the administration of workers’ compensation program, including working with the insurance carrier, Company leaders and Human Resources in case management and administering effective return to work program for injured employees to minimize employee lost time and claim costs.
· Maintain and update Roastar Safety Manual.
· Maintain safety-related files and records in compliance with local, state and federal regulations, i.e. policies, procedures, training, inspections, audits, incident reports, OSHA Log 300.
· Update Company leadership with safety metrics and report status of current projects, new regulations, and potential areas of concern.
· Develop, update, and monitor Company safety programs and policies in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations to ensure compliance is met.
· Maintain and monitor hazardous materials per permit requirements.
· Manage MSDS Online System to include Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) review for raw materials.
· Inspect Company facilities to detect existing or potential incident and health hazards; determine corrective or preventative measures where indicated; follow up to ensure measures have been implemented to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
· Coordinate emergency preparedness activities including evacuation plans and first aid train
· Manage safety vendors, including safety inventory.
III. Continuous Improvement
· Develop and coordinate effective safety incentive programs - monthly near miss, 6S, lean efforts.
· Actively contribute to the preparation of the annual safety budget, and ongoing cost controls.
· Work with Company leaders to drive safety culture and support changes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology, or Safety is desired.
· Continuing Education or certification in Safety or Training is desired.
· Two (2) to four (4) years of experience in a manufacturing environment required.
· Previous safety management in a manufacturing environment is desired.
· Previous experience or training in 5-S, Lean, Six Sigma or a similar continuous improvement methodology preferred.
Specific Skills, Licensure and Certifications
· Proficient in local, state, and federal safety regulations, including OSHA regulations and practices.
· Advanced computer skills to include MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Advanced communication skills to include person to person, large group presentation, written and phone.
· Ability to work with multiple priorities, prioritize and organize workload.
· Good organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects at the same time.
Previous success in a safety training role, preferably in a manufacturing setting.
Strong technical writing skills required.
Strong (verbal and written) interpersonal communication skills at various levels.
Strong attention to detail and accuracy required.
Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
Flexibility to work altered hours as needed for Safety training/assessment
Willingness to be a team player.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Confidence and professionalism in representing the Company.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand or sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and carry; and push and pull. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee may occasionally perform work related travel.
The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud dependent upon the machinery you are exposed to. In such cases wearing of PPE is mandatory.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Responsibilities and requirements are subject to change at the discretion of management. The employee is expected to adhere to all Company policies and procedures.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
Employee assistance program
Health savings account
Paid time off
Professional development assistance
8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
Wausau, WI 54401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
EHS: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location